The Institutional Review Board (IRB) regulates all research activities involving human subjects on the UT Knoxville campus. All UT Knoxville research involving human participants must be reviewed following UT Knoxville IRB policies and procedures. It must be approved prior to the initiation of research activity such as contact with potential human participants.
All IRB applications must be submitted through iMedRIS (Integrated Medical Research Information System).
|Contact CICS for assistance navigating iMedris and/or questions about specific IRB requirements. For iMedris log-in and other access issues contact firstname.lastname@example.org|
IRB Resources (through The Office of Research and Engagement)
- iMedRIS Guides — step-by-step guides for navigating iMedris, routing your IRB, and revising your application.
- Research Guidelines – IRB guides and workshop videos
- IRB Forms – IRB Review Checklist; Informed Consent
IRB Routing Procedure for CCI Researchers
CCI requires researchers to follow these steps in order to successfully route their application:
Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Training Resources
The Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) requires current CITI training for each PI, Co-PI, Sub-Investigator, Faculty Advisor, and all Research Personnel (e.g. research assistant, coordinator, etc.) listed on a human subjects research application.
The two modules required by CCI are:
Basic Courses in IRB/Human Subjects Research
- Social and Behavioral Focus Basic/Refresher — For most people in Social and Behavioral or Humanities disciplines.
Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR)
- Social and Behavioral RCR (Psychology, Social Work, etc.)
CITI training is accessed at https://research.utk.edu/training-workshops/online/citi and you can use your UT NetID and password to log in.